Background references for pet overpopulation and feral
- Christiansen, B. (1998) Save Our Strays: How we can end pet
overpopulation and stop killing healthy cats & dogs. Napa,
CA: Canine Learning Center.
- Cuffe,D.J.C., Eachus,J.E., Jackson,O.F., Neville,P.F. and
Remfry,J. (1983) Ear-tipping for identification of neutered feral
cats. Veterinary Record 112, 129.
- Turner, D.C. and Bateson, P. (eds.), The Domestic Cat: The
biology of its behaviour. pp. 193-206. New York: Cambridge
Recent publications on feral cats
(Your veterinarian can get these from most veterinary
- Gibson,K.L., Keizer,K. and Golding,C. (2002) A trap, neuter,
and release program for feral cats on Prince Edward Island.
Canadian Veterinary Journal 43,
- Hughes,K.L. and Slater,M.R. (2002) Implementation of a feral
cat management program on a university campus. Journal of
Applied Animal Welfare Science 5, 15-27.
- Hughes,K.L., Slater,M.R. and Haller,L. (2002) The effects of
implementing a feral cat spay/neuter program in a florida county
animal control service. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare
Science 5, 285-298
- Lee,I.T., Levy,J.K., Gorman,S.P., Crawford,P.C. and Slater,M.R.
(2002) Prevalence of feline leukemia virus infection and serum
antibodies against feline immunodeficiency virus in unowned
free-roaming cats. Journal of American Veterinary Medical
Association 220, 620-622.
- Levy,J.K., Gale,D.W. and Gale,L.A. (2003a) Evaluation of the
effect of a long-term trap-neuter-return and adoption program on a
free roaming cat population. Journal of American Veterinary
Medical Association 222, 42-46.
- Levy,J.K., Woods,J.E., Turick,S.L. and Etheridge,D.L. (2003b)
Number of unowned free-roaming cats in a college community in the
southern United States and characteristics of community residents
who feed them. Journal of American Veterinary Medical
Association 223, 202-205.
- Scott,K.C. Levy,J.K. and Crawford C. (2002) Characteristics of
free-roaming cats evaluated in a trap-neuter-return program.
Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- Scott,K.C., Levy,J.K. and Gorman,S.P. (2002) Body condition of
feral cats and the effect of neutering. Journal of Applied
Animal Welfare Science 5, 203-213.
- Slater, M. R. (2000) Understanding and controlling of feral cat
populations. In August JR (ed.), Consultations in feline
internal medicine pp. 561-570. Philadelphia: W.B.
- Slater, M. R. (2002) Community approaches to feral cats:
problems, alternatives & recommendations. Washington,
D.C.: The Humane Society Press.
« Return to AFCAT Home