Skip Navigation
« Back to Outstanding Alumni Archive
04.02.06

Billy Hancock

Billy Hancock

2006 Outstanding Alumni
Dr. Billy Hancock, '51

After obtaining his DVM, Dr. Billy Hancock joined the Virus-Serum Control Division of the USDA at Fort Dodge Laboratories to assist in the final testing of the new modified live virus hog cholera vaccine. In 1952 he joined the Pharmaceutical Research Division at Fort Dodge where he assisted in developing Nolvasan and later became the Assistant Director of the Biological Laboratory.

In 1956 Hancock moved to Ohio State University as an instructor of microbiology and supervisor of the diagnostic lab. He obtained his MS in 1957 and his PhD in 1960 while at Ohio State and advanced to Assistant Professor. In 1961 he left academia and became the Director of Production for American Scientific Laboratories, a division of Schering Corporation, where he was responsible for production, plant operations and correspondence with regulatory agencies. He returned to Fort Dodge as VP of Production in 1972 with production responsibilities at both the Iowa plant and the Franklin Laboratories subsidiary in Amarillo, Texas, and retired in 1984.

During his career, Hancock was president-elect of the American Association of Veterinary Bacteriologists from 1963 to 1964 as well as a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Microbiologists in 1967. He was chairman of the Veterinary Biological Committee of the Animal Health Industry from 1970 to 1972 and the microbiology council member of the AVMA Council of Biological and Therapeutic Agents from 1987 to 1992.

Hancock has been an inspiring mentor to graduate students and veterinarians seeking specialty board certification. He has served as an excellent evaluator of national policies and procedures relating to drugs for animal health. He and his wife, Suzanne, live in Fort Dodge, Iowa, have a daughter, Terri, a son, Alan, and one grandchild.



↑ Back to Top
« Back to Outstanding Alumni Archive