Skip Navigation
« Back to 2013 Outstanding Alumni
04.17.13

Dr. J. Wayne Kyle

Dr. J. Wayne Kyle Dr. J. Wayne Kyle is a 1956 graduate of the College of Veterinary Medicine and began his practice career with Dr. J.L. Clayton in Kilgore. In 1959, Dr. Kyle returned to his hometown of Carthage and opened his own mixed animal practice. Dr. Kyle served as the secretary of the East Texas Veterinary Medical Association in 1959 and as president of that organization in 1960. Dr. Kyle also served as president of the Panola County Cattleman's Association and as chairman of the Cattleman's Association Rodeo Committee, overseeing improvements to the rodeo facilities and performances.

Education and support for youth is near to Dr. Kyle's heart, and his efforts in that area are remarkable. Dr. Kyle has served on the Carthage ISD Board of Trustees for 36 years and helped found the Carthage ISD Education Foundation. He was named to the Carthage ISD Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame, honored as an Honorary Chapter Farmer for both the Carthage and Gary FFA Chapters and as a Friend of 4-H for both Panola and Shelby Counties, and is a life member in the Carthage Chapter of the Technology Students Association. Dr. and Mrs. Kyle are also faithful members of the First United Methodist Church of Carthage where they sing in the choir, serve as Stephen Ministers, and teach classes at Mission Carthage.

After years of practicing out of a small building beside his home, Dr. Kyle built a small animal hospital in 1968 and added equine and bovine facilities in subsequent years. Dr. Kyle also worked in the Brucellosis Eradication Program in Panola and Shelby Counties and performed brucellosis testing and pregnancy examinations for the local livestock sale barn. As a veteran of the Texas Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis epidemic in the mid-sixties, Dr. Kyle vaccinated horses and mules all over Panola and Shelby Counties from daylight to dark for weeks on end. He also founded the local Humane Society.

Dr. T.G. Carroll's practice in Center was purchased in 1986, and with the help of three associates, Dr. Kyle expanded his veterinary practice area to include parts of Rusk, San Augustine, Harrison, and Nacogdoches Counties in addition to his home counties of Panola and Shelby. Numerous students from Carthage High School have been mentored and assisted by Dr. Kyle, and he is especially proud of six of these students who went on to become practicing veterinarians: Dr. James J. Rushing, Dr. Tom Hooper, Dr. Cindy Nugent Pfluger, Dr. Richard T. Wall, Dr. Dean Yates, and Dr. John Alexander.

Dr. Kyle is a member of the American Veterinary Medical Association, the Texas Veterinary Medical Association, from which he received the Distinguished Career Achievement Award, and he has been awarded a life membership in the Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association. Dr. Kyle lived his profession every day in his practice and felt that he never had to go to work a day in his life.

The Kyles have been married for 54 years and have three children, three grandchildren, and two great grandchildren.


↑ Back to Top
« Back to 2013 Outstanding Alumni