- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Auburn U., 1958
- Doctor of Philosophy, U. Notre Dame, 1963
Professional Activities, as a...
- Research Areas: include brainstem
mechanisms of behavior, alcohol, learning/memory, chemical signals,
human cognition and EEG, educational research. neuro-education
- Discoveries: (range from model
membranes to human cognition)
- radiation induces an adrenal stress response,
- at a time when scientists thought ruminants did not sleep,
proved that they not only sleep but also dream,
- ethanol selectively acts on certain neurons,
- opiates selectively act on certain neurons,
- rhythmic activity in the hippocampus reflects a widespread
activating influence of the brainstream reticular formation that is
not necessarily associated with movement.
- ethanol displaces hydrogen bonded water on membrane lipid,
- freeze behavior ("animal hypnosis") is a brainstem-mediated
- neuronal spike trains contain sequential interval codes in
certain clusters of impulses (i.e., they can act like a "byte"
- acetaldehyde in body fluids is a biochemical marker for estrus
- sex hormones promote memory consolidation,
- multiple areas of cerebral cortex become synchronized at
various frequencies during memory recall and "eureka"
- In-demand peer reviewer of scholarly
manuscripts: ~ 1,000 papers for 45 journals
- Editorial Board Member: twelve
scholarly journals. Reviewed manuscripts for over 45 journals. See list of over
500 publications , which have been
formally cited over 2,000 times according to Citation
Texas A&M University
- College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M Univ.
(1980-present): taught Introductory Neuroscience. a Drug and
Substance Abuse Seminar, Science and Technology Practices and
Policies, and graduate neuroscience courses.
- College of Science (1966-1980): taught animal physiology,
animal behavior, introductory biology, graduate neuroscience
College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State
- Taught pharmacology and graduate physiology courses.
18 books, including Mental Biology, The New Science of How the
Brain and Mind Relate; Atoms of Mind; Core Ideas
in Neuroscience; Memory Power 101; Better Grades, Less
Effort; Improve Your Memory for a Healthy Brain. Memory Is the
Canary in Your Brain's Coal Mine; Animal
Electroencephalography; Applied Electronics in Veterinary Medicine
& Animal Physiology; Science, The Brain, and Our Future;
Discovery Processes in Modern Biology; Brainstem Mechanisms of
Behavior; Understanding Neuroscience; Global Peace Through the
Global University System; 'Dillos. Roadkill on Extinction Highway;
Blame Game, How To Win.
- Hundreds of presentations to clubs, cruise line, workshops,
- Currently speaking on: Improve Learning and Memory, Teaching
How to Learn, Neuroscience and Religion, Mental Biology
- Colonel, U.S. Air Force Reserves (Ret.) - Research and
development planning, Human Systems Division
- Company President - co-founder of Forum Enterprises, Inc.,
maker of collaboration software
- Consultant - clients have included U.S. Air Force, A. H.
Robbins Co., Dow Chemical Company, RCA, The Fielding Institute,
U.S. Dept. Agriculture, Vinson & Elkins Attorneys, Int. Flavors
& Fragrances Co.
- Project Director for educational outreach grants (NIH, NSF) to
middle schools, community colleges, and post-graduate animal-health
professionals. Awards in excess of $7.5 million.