Travel Award Deadlines
There will be three deadlines for travel award funding this
year. Deadline for Fall Semester Travel Award applications is
October 14, 2014 by 5pm. This application period is for students
traveling between September 1 and January 2, 2015. For students
traveling between January 3 and April 30, 2015 the application
deadline is January 9, 2015. For students traveling between
May 1 and August 31, 2015 the application deadline is April
7, 2015. Late applications will not be accepted. If
you have any questions please contact Anitha Isaiah AIsaiah@cvm.tamu.edu or Seth
Bridges SBridges@cvm.tamu.edu. You
may also refer to the Frequently Asked Questions below.
If you are awarded a travel award, the funds will be made
available to you for travel/board/registration after we have
received proof of acceptance to a conference. Two separate
deadlines will make it easier for students traveling in the Fall
and Spring to receive their funding in a timely manner with respect
to their travel dates.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Must be a student registered in a graduate program at CVM at
the time of travel.
- Student must be an employee of Texas A&M University
(consult your department for becoming TAMU employee during
- The meeting or conference must be professional in nature &
of scientific importance in the student's field of study.
- The student must be the first and the presenting author.
- An abstract and evidence of its acceptance is required.
- The presentation must be a poster or platform format.
- A student is limited to one travel award per academic
- Domestic or international conferences are eligible.
- The application must be submitted prior to the deadline.
- The application must be complete.
Selection Committee & Criteria
The GSA faculty advisor and the GSA executive officers will
review the applications and select the awardees.
If all the eligibility requirements are satisfied, then the
following criteria will be used to decide whether the student will
receive a travel award:
- Participation in GSA activities: students who attend GSA
meetings and who participate in GSA events. There will be sign up
sheets to record the names of those who participated in the events
including the meetings. Additional sign-up sheets will be kept
during the meetings soliciting your participation in future GSA
activities like vendor shows, open house, and research
- Will the research to be presented represent the College of
Veterinary Medicine and its students well?
- Merit of the research and conference or workshop
- Academic performance: the student's grade point average will be
used to judge the academic performance.
- Download the Travel Award Application Form here.
- Include a copy of your abstract.
- Include evidence of acceptance of your abstract for
presentation at the meeting or conference.
- Submit your completed application via CVM email to the Travel
Award Secretary AIsaiah@cvm.tamu.edu.
If meeting the updated deadline means you
will not have evidence of an accepted abstract yet: Submit
your application with evidence of abstract submission and indicate
in the comments section of the application when you expect
acceptance notification. You will be required to submit evidence of
acceptance as soon as it becomes available. If you are selected to
receive an award you will not be given any funds until we have
evidence your abstract was accepted.
Next Application Deadline
It is strongly recommended that you apply as soon as you have
confirmation of abstract acceptance regardless of the deadline
date. Applicants will be informed of award status 10 days following
the deadline for application. No awards will be given retroactively
(i.e. after you have traveled).
- Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 5 P.M.
If You Are Awarded a CVM - GSA Travel Award
- Awards are given for registration, transportation, lodging, and
- Travel arrangements should be made through your departmental
contact to ensure full use of the award and reimbursement of
- It is the awardee's responsibility to notify the travel
arrangement contact for their department of their award.
- VTPB - Diane McCleary
- VIBS - Deborah Daniel
- VTPP - Melissa Stokes
- VSCS - Bridget Sebesta
- VLSC - Brandi Sebesta
- A Travel Authorization Request must be submitted and approved
in Concur before travel occurs. This is done
through your departmental contact.
- Remember to keep all your receipts & turn
them in to your departmental contact.
- If you receive additional travel awards for travel to the same
meeting, those awards will be applied first to your travel
expenses. Your CVM - GSA travel award will be applied to the
remainder of your expenses.
- Working with your departmental contact will ensure that you get
the maximum use of all your travel awards.
- Applying/receiving additional travel awards will NOT affect the
review or judging of your CVM - GSA travel award application.
Obligation of Accepting a CVM - GSA Travel Award
- In accepting a GSA Travel Award, you are
required to present your work at the Spring CVM
Research Symposium following your meeting/conference.
- Your poster or platform presentation should include an
acknowledgement of the College of Veterinary Medicine & CVM
Graduate Student Association for the travel award.
- If you receive additional travel awards for travel to the same
meeting, these funds must be applied to your travel expenses prior
to utilizing the CVM - GSA travel award funds. You
MUST notify your departmental contact of the
amount you have or will receive.
Please print and fill out the application form and turn it in
with your travel award application.
Frequently Asked Questions:
I do not have an abstract while submitting the travel award
We strongly encourage applicants to include an abstract even if
the final research results are not available. If you do not have
your abstract ready, please submit your completed application with
credible supplementary information. For example, including an email
or link to the official conference page indicating there is
reasonably sufficient time to submit an abstract is expected. An
abstract and evidence of its acceptance is required before any
funds are released for your travel.
I have submitted an abstract but it has not been accepted
Please submit the completed application with proof that your
abstract has been submitted. An abstract and evidence of its
acceptance is required before any funds are released for your
I am a new student and thus was not able to attend CVM-GSA
meetings in the past.
You are still eligible to receive an award and are encouraged to
apply. The start date of your degree program in the application
will be noted by the reviewers.
My conference starts before April 13, 2015 (expected award
We will evaluate retroactive reimbursement on a case by case
basis. Please contact us with your conference details for more
I am traveling to a conference outside of the U.S.A. Am I
eligible for funding?
Yes! International travel is now eligible for travel award
I am an international, sponsored, and/or interdisciplinary
program student. Am I eligible?
All CVM graduate students are eligible, including those in
interdisciplinary programs if their major advisor is in the
My professor is presenting at a meeting and I am a co-author
for this presentation. Can I apply for a travel award?
Travel awards are available only if you are presenting.