Skip Navigation
Student Perspectives
The Student Perspectives blog is a fresh and realistic snapshot of the life of veterinary medical and biomedical science students.
Subscribe to Student Perspectives RSS
« Back to Student Perspectives

Spaying and Clinic Rotations

Spaying and Clinic Rotations

This week is the first of our surgeries for the area animal shelters. Because I have the position of surgeon this week in my group, I have been responsible for the daily care of our patient this week. We have been assigned a beautiful mixed breed female dog to spay tomorrow. My best guess is that she is a German Shepherd and Catahoula mix. We have also guessed that she is between 1.5 and 2 years old. Her kind, playful nature is a true testament to her innate trust of humans. Through all the hardship that she has endured in her life, she still has a positive happy outlook.

I am nervous about performing the spay tomorrow. Although I know that I am fully prepared to perform the procedure, I am hopeful that it will go smoothly. I can't wait for her to recover and be ready for her new home. I am hopeful that a family will see the same beauty and caring eyes as I do, and that someone will show her that life can be better than she has ever experienced. I just plan to do my best to keep her as healthy and happy as possible while she is in my care.

This week I also start my first rotation in the clinics. I will be spending Wednesday each week for the next month with a different rotation in either the small or large animal clinic. This Wednesday I will be spending the day with small animal soft tissue surgery. I will also be joining the feline internal medicine service, the equine lameness service, and the ambulatory service that takes care of animals at prisons in Texas during this month. Each week will be a very different experience, and I am excited about what I will learn.

Third year continues to offer exciting experiences, and I am beginning to get very excited about spending next year in clinics!

↑ Back to Top
« Back to Student Perspectives