Skip Navigation

Looking Back, Looking Ahead

Today is our first day back to school after Thanksgiving. I think it is definitely safe to say that we were all thankful for Thanksgiving break this year. While short, it was great to get the chance to go home and visit with friends and family for a few days. We are lucky that this year we have a week between our Thanksgiving break and finals. My first year of veterinary school, finals were scheduled for the week after Thanksgiving. That meant that I spent the holiday in College Station studying. This year, I left my books behind for a few days of relaxation, ridiculous amounts of overeating, and some much needed time away from school.

I have learned over the past three years, that by taking some time to remind myself of why I want to be a veterinarian and how important it is to me, I am much more productive and determined in my school work when I return to it. It is easy to be bogged down with the details, specifics, obligations, meetings, and exams. Radiology, Parasitology, Immunology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Physiology and the list goes on and on….can easily overwhelm you if you let it.  For me, it is best to take a day or two, put the books aside and remind myself of why I should press on. Spending the Thanksgiving weekend at home with family, friends, and my horses (of course!) was just the rejuvenation I needed to help me get through finals.

As I only have one semester left before fourth year begins, I have been much more mindful of taking advantage of the breaks that we are given this year. I plan on studying diligently and finishing the final two weeks of this semester with a bang, and then enjoying every moment of Christmas break.

It is hard for me to believe how fast this semester has flown by. Each year has gone by quickly, but they have never seemed to pass as fast as this one.  It is both exciting and terrifying to think that in 18 months I will be graduating from veterinary school. It is becoming very real to us as we have already had to select our vacation and externship dates. We are already making the plans for our last year of school!

I cannot wait to begin my fourth year. Although it is a twelve month year, it is spent on two week rotations working in different services. Because I will be taking a large animal track, I will be spending the majority of my time in the large animal clinic. I am most excited about the equine rotations that I will be assigned, and I am hoping that the Advanced Food Animal Medicine course I will be taking next semester will help prepare me for those rotations that I will be spending in the other half of the large animal clinic.

The next year holds some extremely exciting experiences. As I look back over the past two and a half years, it is hard to believe how far I've come. I pray that in December of 2013 I will be saying the same thing.