Skip Navigation

In most people’s minds, weekends are a time to relax and unwind from hectic weekdays. Apparently, we vet students do not share the same perspective…

Every morning and evening this week, I'm in charge of the care of our surgery patient. Consequently, my weekend started at 6:00 am Saturday morning. I might have been up, but the sun definitely was not. Thank goodness our surgery animal this week is a healthy, spry, little cat that doesn't mind a thorough physical exam (minus the temperature-taking, but honestly, who wouldn't be a little upset about a rectal thermometer?). After finishing the paperwork for our kitty, I headed to the large animal hospital for an equine castration clinic that one of our veterinary student chapters organized for the community.

At this clinic, we vet students had the opportunity to handle every aspect of patient care with castrations in the field. We all rotated between anesthetist, surgeon, and assistant surgeon with each horse. I have watched numerous castrations in the past, but getting a chance to perform one was a great experience. We had clinicians and experienced technicians volunteer their Saturday to teach us proper technique and the various ways you could perform the procedure. Throughout the morning, we also interacted with the horse owners. These clients further reinforced in my mind that veterinary medicine isn't just about the animals, it's about the people. The owners were just as thankful for the chance to be a part of the castration clinic as I was. The way the owners listened to our recommendations and asked us questions made us all feel a little closer to being doctors. The experience I gained that morning was well-worth waking up at the crack of dawn.

After the clinic, the rest of Saturday officially started. I hurriedly headed home to shower and go to a friend's barbeque. After some fantastic grilling and grub, we all headed back to campus to tailgate and watch a Fightin' Texas Aggie football game. The game was fantastic, and I loved that I got to see our boys beat the top-ten ranked Oklahoma Sooners at Kyle Field (Whoop!).

I finally got home around 11:30 pm (traffic's a little rough when 81,000 fans all leave the stadium at the same time). By the time I made dinner and got ready for bed, I had been up and going for 18 hours. Needless to say, my victory celebration after the game involved me passing out for some much needed sleep. Thank goodness daylight savings time gave me an additional, much needed hour of sleep!