Skip Navigation
Student Perspectives
The Student Perspectives blog is a fresh and realistic snapshot of the life of veterinary medical and biomedical science students.
Subscribe to Student Perspectives RSS
« Back to Student Perspectives

New Puppy

New Puppy

As you can probably imagine, vet students tend to have a lot of pets. Some of us have more than others. As of one week ago I only had two, a Golden Retriever, Nelli, and a cat, Boomer. For a while now I have wanted a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. They are amazing dogs, loyal, strong, outgoing and athletic. Last Thursday I welcomed an 8 week-old Swiss Mountain Dog puppy, Brigitte, into my furry family! Is raising a new puppy during your third year in vet school challenging, you might ask? Well yes, it certainly is! I'm back to the days of taking her outside every 30 minutes, making sure she eats and drinks (and poops!) enough, trying to start basic training and figuring out how to get her to stop chasing the cat!

Nelli, my Golden Retriever, is a very spoiled dog; she has enjoyed being the only dog in the family. At first she didn't know what to think about the new puppy and just ignored her. Now Nelli and Brigitte are best friends and love to play together! Puppies are hard work; they take a lot of time, discipline and patience. However, if you put in the effort, they are so rewarding! I think everyone should own a dog; they really do make you happier! I think my furry family is complete! (Well… at least for now.)

new puppy blog picture

↑ Back to Top
« Back to Student Perspectives