Skip Navigation
Student Perspectives
The Student Perspectives blog is a fresh and realistic snapshot of the life of veterinary medical and biomedical science students.
Subscribe to Student Perspectives RSS
« Back to Student Perspectives

Journey of YOUR Lifetime

Journey of YOUR Lifetime

LubDub. LubDub. LubDub.  These are the sounds of the heart.  On average, a human heart beats about 3 billion times.  It sends blood to the lungs which comes back to the heart to supply oxygenated blood to the brain and the rest of the body.  The brain, like the heart, works every single day, every single minute.  It keeps the heart beating, it keeps the rest of the body working.  It allows you to feel pain, love, fear, the pressure of the pen in your hand and the keys on your computer.  Through an entire lifetime the brain never stops working.... until I'm in the middle of an exam.  I can try and try to get the answers that I have studied for hours to surface, but for some reason, they refuse.  This is an issue that many of us in biomedical sciences feel.  We learn the information, we hear it, we can repeat it and even teach it to others, but the moment we step into that classroom, sit in our seats and open that test booklet all we feel is.... BLANK.

One thing that I have always figured, though, is that if I can get through this program, than I can get through any program.  Medical school will be "more doable" instead of impossible.  This is what comforts me and keeps me going. 

The light is at the end of the tunnel for my undergraduate career, and then I'm off to the next phase of my life which hopefully includes getting into medical school.  In less than 4 weeks, I will have received a B.S. degree in Biomedical Sciences from Texas A&M University, and the funny thing is, I don't have anything figured out yet.  I have talked to many people who have graduated and have no idea what is in store for them, and silly me, always thought that I would by the time I reached that point in my life... but no... I am just like everyone else.  But that's the interesting thing about life, no matter how alone we feel, we all are really just in the same place, and we can all work together to figure out how to get each other, and ourselves, to the inevitable next step.

Growing up, my mother always said that "you can do anything if it doesn't last very long", and in the grand scheme of things, the 4 years we spend in high school, undergrad, grad school, med school, or even vet school, are seemingly insignificant in the 80 years that we will be living.  But when you add them all up, you get the journey of YOUR lifetime.

↑ Back to Top
« Back to Student Perspectives