Skip Navigation
Student Perspectives
The Student Perspectives blog is a fresh and realistic snapshot of the life of veterinary medical and biomedical science students.
Subscribe to Student Perspectives RSS
« Back to Student Perspectives

Oreos, Funyuns, and Gardettos! Oh My!

Oreos, Funyuns, and Gardettos!  Oh My!

It never fails.  When you’re a veterinary student and you have pets—especially if you have a dog—you tend to end up in a veterinary hospital for one random reason or another.  My boyfriend, Zach, and I adopted a wire-haired dachshund from the Harris County Animal Shelter in August and named him Fender.  He was pretty good for a 5-month-old puppy.  He only had a few accidents here and there before he was completely potty trained, and even when he did have accidents, they were generally on his dog pillow or towel so that it was easy to clean up (how considerate!).  Having worked in clinics and been surrounded by hundreds of people who own animals, you hear the horror stories of things that pets have gotten into: socks, underwear, a whole package of honey buns, magnets, rubber turtles, copper cables: the list is never-ending!

Of course, you think that when you get your own dog things will be different, which is complete denial, but you can’t help it because your new furry friend has been on his best behavior, gained your trust, and lulled you into a false sense of security.  Then, you wake up one morning, head to school as usual, and come home to find that your unopened snack stash has been ransacked.  Fender managed to get his paws into Oreos, funyuns, and gardettos.  You then go through the five stages of grief.  You lie to yourself and say he couldn’t have done it, and then you’re sad because you never got a chance to eat the Oreos, and then you’re angry because you have no more snack food.  Before you reach acceptance of what happened, you’re kind of impressed that such a little dog managed to eat his weight in food.  You kind of want to give him a high five, but instead, you give him hydrogen peroxide and take him to the small animal hospital.

Photo of Fender
Fender

Fender ended up vomiting most of the food up (thank goodness!), although much of it ended up on one of Zach’s shirts.  He also ended up vomiting some in the exam room, which, not surprisingly, received the question of why his vomit was orange.  Fender didn’t just eat any old Oreos.  He was festive and ate the Halloween kind with the orange filling.  Of course, he was acting like it was the best day of his life.  Yeah, that’s our dog.  Luckily, none of the foods he ate were toxic, although Dr. Stacy Eckman warned us that something toxic would be coming out in a few days, and toxic it was (and under the bed too!)

Needless to say, this provided a valuable life lesson.  Never underestimate a dachshund’s size: he will find a way to get what he wants, no matter how high something is.

Until next time!



↑ Back to Top
« Back to Student Perspectives