Large Animal Medicine Residency
Thank you for your interest in our large animal internal
medicine residency program. We are proud of our program and the
ultimate professional success of our current and former residents.
Although a complete description of our program might be daunting,
there are a number of features of our program that we would like to
bring to your attention.
- Three-year program that allows adequate time to train and
prepare for certification by the American College of Veterinary
Internal Medicine (ACVIM), including a total of 6 months of
professional development time to prepare for
- A large, diverse internal medicine caseload
- Exceptional facilities and technical staff in the teaching
- Opportunity to obtain extensive experience with large animal
ultrasonography under the auspices of 2 ACVIM diplomates with
ultrasound expertise and an ultrasound technician
- Opportunity to participate in an active food animal service
(primarily beef cattle and meat goats) with 2 ACVIM diplomates
- Opportunity to enhance clinical experience with lameness
(musculoskeletal disorders) because our lameness service is in the
- Opportunity to evaluate and manage horses with colic
- Funding for travel and other academic uses (e.g., photocopying,
- Excellent opportunities for clinical research projects (with
emphasis on epidemiology, gastroenterology, and infectious
- Opportunities for graduate study concurrent with residency
- Strong faculty commitment toward our residents attaining
- A friendly, collegial work environment
- Exposure and use of a state of the art diagnostic imaging
facility for large animals.
And more! If you have further questions, please contact Dr.
Kevin Washburn ( 979-845-3541), Residency Program Supervisor
Please contact our current residents for further