October 2014 Deans Corner
Reveille to retire at Stevenson Center

Reveille VIII To Retire at the Stevenson Companion Animal Life-Care Center

Reveille, the First Lady of Texas A&M and a special member of the Aggie family, will retire in style on campus at the Stevenson Companion Animal Life-Care Center. The Stevenson Center provides personalized, lifelong care for animals in a home-like environment.

Read More >>

Hospital Begins Providing Care to PALS Program

The Texas Veterinary Medical Foundation (TVMF) and Meals on Wheels and More have partnered to create Pets Assisting the Lives of Seniors (PALS), which provides veterinary care free of charge to participants in the Meals on Wheels program. We had our first PALS patient at the hospital this month—Boots the cat!

Learn More >>

Andy Maccabe of AAVMC Visits the CVM

Andy Maccabe of AAVMC Visits the CVM

The American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC) executive director, Andrew Maccabe, DVM, M.P.H., J.D., visited our college the second week of September. After his visit, it seems clear what great hands the AAVMC is in and how being involved in this organization can help us all reach our goals.

Learn More >>

Students Present at AABP

Students Present at AABP

Three of our students presented cases at the 47th Annual Conference of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners (AABP), which was held September 18-20 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Lelie Wagner presented a cranial cruciate rupture in an Angus bull, Jayton Bailey presented Salmonellosis in an adult cow, and Bryan Weaver presented Johne's disease in a Wagyu bull.

Read More >>

SECC Fundraiser Held

SECC Fundraiser Held

We held a SECC Fundraiser selling Fuego breakfast tacos on Friday, September 26th, and we raised  $300 for three local charities: Scotty’s House, Miracle Farm, and the Aggieland Humane Society. Thanks to all who helped, as well as to all who bought tacos!

Learn More >>

New Graduate Student Orientation Held

One of the highlights of the fall semester is the opportunity to meet and speak with our 100 plus new graduate students. Providing an overview of Texas A&M University, from the opening of our doors until today, provides students with an understanding of the commitment that administrators, faculty and staff make to help lead them to a successful and enlightening graduate experience. My advice to this incredible group of graduate students, is “Love the experience, Love Texas A&M. Utilize all of the great mentors around you, take this opportunity to use our training in grant writing, and get connected by joining one of our many student organizations…we’re excited to have you…WELCOME to Texas A&M.”

Two New Faces in the Professional Programs Office

Dr. Kristin Chaney, who is board-certified in equine internal medicine and critical care, joined the Professional Programs Office on Sept. 15 and will working with the faculty on outcome assessment and portions of the curricular review process. Nicole Parker, who has worked within Texas A&M University at College Station, Galveston, and Qatar, joins the team as an administrative assistant.

Read More >>

October 6
Enhancing Diversity Seminar Series: Dr. Derald Wing Sue

October 7
LGVMA Lunch-n-Learn: GLBT Resource Center

October 9
VLCS Seminar Series: Dr. Ashlee Watts

October 17-19
16th Annual Emergency Medicine & Critical Care Conference

October 17-19
Brazos Valley Fair and Expo

October 23
VLCS Seminar Series: Christopher Mabry

October 30
Ophtalmology Candidate Interview-Dr. Freya M. Mowat

October 31
Halloween Photo Booth in Creative Technologies

October 31
Creative Technologies Open House

October 10
Presentation of the 2014 Association of Former Students Distinguished Achievement Awards at the College Level
October 17
Bridges Teaching Academy-DVM Curriculum Committee Update

October 31
Topic to be determined

Congratulations to Therese Gavin, one of our DVM students, for winning the grand prize of $1,000 in the annual Max Memorial Essay Competition.
Five of our DVM students–Adam Copeland, Paul Crabtree, Chase Key, Aaron Rode and Bryan Weaver–have won FAAP awards from the Texas Farm Bureau. Congratulations to them all, and thanks to the Texas Farm Bureau for all they do!
Jayton Bailey, a DVM student, was awarded a $5000 scholarship at the AABP Annual Conference held Sept. 18-20 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Zoetis Veterinary Student Scholarships support students focused on careers in large-animal veterinarian medicine. The scholarships, are made possible by a collaboration between Zoetis and the American Association of Bovine Practitioners (AABP) Foundation.
Amanda Chattin & Griselda Vazquez from the Dean’s Office received their certificate for Diversity & Inclusion in the Workplace through EOD.
Melinda Asher from Vet Med Park received her certificate for Fundamentals of Office Administration I.
Dr. Laura Peycke in VSCS recently passed her American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation (ACVSMR) boards, in the sub-area of canine sports medicine.

Veterinary Medicine Development
4461 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843

Support Texas A&M