January 2015 Deans Corner
Barton Recognized as Presidential Professor for Teaching Excellence

Barton Recognized as Presidential Professor for Teaching Excellence

We surprised Dr. Claudia Barton with the news that she had been named a presidential professor.

Read More >>

BIMS Board Meeting Held

BIMS Board Meeting Held

We held the inaugural meeting of the BIMS board, which is a group of biomedical sciences alumni with an ongoing interest in the college. Highlights of the event included a panel with Nina Pham and performance by the Aggie Wranglers.

Read More >>

Levine Named Head of VSCS

Levine Named Head of VSCS

Dr. Jonathan Levine has accepted the position of department head of the Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences (VSCS) in the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (CVM) after a national search and will officially assume the role on May 1, 2015.

Read More >>

One Health Team Participates in Global Health Conference

One Health Team Participates in Global Health Conference

The 6th Annual Global Health Conference of CUGH (Consortium of Universities for Global Health) took place in Boston, and members of the Texas A&M One Health team presented research data from their Haiti project assessing childhood malnutrition.

Read More >>

Outstanding Alumni Honored

Outstanding Alumni Honored

We honored five outstanding alumni and one rising star this month at a banquet at the Miramont Country Club. They all make great contributions to the veterinary profession and bring honor to the college.

Read More >>

Westhusin Honored with University-Level Distinguished Achievement Award in Research

Westhusin Honored with University-Level Distinguished Achievement Award in Research

The Texas A&M Association of Former Students (AFS) honored Dr. Mark Westhusin with a University-Level Distinguished Achievement Award in Research, one of the highest honors presented by the AFS.

Read More >>

University-Level Distinguished Achievement Award in Administration

University-Level Distinguished Achievement Award in Administration

The honor of being awarded a University-Level Distinguished Achievement Award in Administration from the Association of Former Students (AFS) was breathtaking, but I couldn't have received this recognition without the help and support of all of you-the faculty, staff, students, alumni, and friends of this college.

Read More >>

Gastel Receives the Bush Excellence Award for Faculty in Public Service

Gastel Receives the Bush Excellence Award for Faculty in Public Service

Dr. Barbara Gastel was honored with the Bush Excellence Award for Faculty in Public Service, which recognizes a Texas A&M University faculty member who makes outstanding contributions to public service, defined as a sustained long-term application of a faculty member's disciplinary expertise to the public or non-profit sector in local, state, national, or international arenas.

Read More >>

mediation may 2015

20 New Mediators Trained

This week, the college welcomes another 20 faculty and staff to our list of certified mediators. Mediation training introduces a powerful new dynamic for conflict resolution and enables people to restore and develop healthy working relationships within the college.

Read More >>

Four College Staff Earn their Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace Certificate

Four College Staff Earn their Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace Certificate

The college is proud to recognize the newest graduates of the Texas A&M Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace certificate program. Yolanda Mendez Brinkman, Linda Fillip, Andrea Robles, and Jamie Wigington graduated from the program in March 2015.

Read More >>

Many Recognized at Honors Convocation

Many Recognized at Honors Convocation

Congratulations to everyone who was recognized at Honors Convocation this month! We have a wonderful group of faculty, staff, and students in this college, and it is always a joy to be able to recognize their accomplishments.

Read More >>

Second-year Students get their White Coats

Second-year Students get their White Coats

The White Coat Ceremony took place on Friday, April 10 and all friends and family of second-year veterinary (2VM) students were invited to attend the event and the reception in Rudder Complex. The ceremony acknowledges the point of transition from classroom study to clinical work. 2VM students receive their white lab coats in a ceremony honoring the legacy of Jeanne Fairweather, M.D.

View Photos >>
Learn More >>

Willard Recognized with Prestigious Bourgelat Award

Willard Recognized with Prestigious Bourgelat Award

Dr. Michael Willard earned recognition for his outstanding contributions to the field of small animal practice as a recipient of the prestigious Bourgelat Award. The Bourgelat, given by the British Small Animal Veterinary Association, was first awarded in 1965, and its awardees include some of the most noteworthy names in veterinary medicine.

Read More >>

Corps of Cadets Leadership Excellence Program Speaking Opportunity

Corps of Cadets Leadership Excellence Program Speaking Opportunity

It's always a pleasure to talk to our future leaders, so I was excited to have the opportunity to speak to Corps of Cadets Leadership Class on April 27. The students seemed to enjoy it, and they posted a message about my lecture on Facebook.

Willard Recognized with Prestigious Bourgelat Award

Spouses Day Tour Held at the Equine Complex

I was excited to welcome the spouses of Texas A&M System CEOs, to the equine complex on April 29. Dr. Jim Heird, the Glenn Blodgett Equine Chair and Coordinator of the Equine Initiative, and Anna Morrison gave tour to spouses led them on a tour of the complex. Also, Tana McKay, head coach of the Texas A&M Equestrian Team spoke, and the team members demonstrated their skills.

Corps of Cadets Leadership Excellence Program Speaking Opportunity

Workshop with Life Sciences and Engineering Held

On April 24, at the Texas A&M Health Science Center, the college had the privilege of co-sponsoring the ENG-LIFE workshop, centering on the connections between Engineering and Life Sciences. The topics included Micro/Nano Technology: Imaging and Sensing: Computational Biology Neuroscience: Drug/Vaccine Delivery: Infectious Disease: and Bioenergy. A committee of faculty from engineering, science, the health science center, and our own Dr. Jane Welsh organized the event to promote multidisciplinary interaction and scientific communication in the field of engineering and life sciences. Students presented posters and I was honored to provide opening remarks.

Willard Recognized with Prestigious Bourgelat Award

Texas A&M Foundation Legacy Society Gala a Success

On April 23 and 24, the Texas A&M Foundation honored members of the A&M Legacy Society, a group comprised of individuals, corporations and organizations who donated $100,000 or more in support of the university, or individuals who made provisions in their estate plans for gifts to support Texas A&M. Dr. Ed Davis, president of the Texas A&M Foundation, spoke briefly and introduced me. After I spoke, our new university president, Michael Young, gave remarks and we were entertained by the Aggie Wranglers. It was a night full of conversation, laughter, and just plain fun!

Read More >>

Women's Veterinary Leadership Development Initiative (WVLDI)

Women's Veterinary Leadership Development Initiative (WVLDI)

I also had the opportunity to speak to Texas A&M's student chapter of the Women's Veterinary Leadership Development Initiative (WVLDI) on April 20. WVDLI is dedicated to helping develop those leaders-in organized veterinary medicine, and from practice owners to academia to corporate board-and to achieve a stronger, more effective and personally rewarding profession. I enjoyed speaking to them about leadership, diversity, and balancing work and life skills. I was honored to speak with the awesome group of student leaders who are looking to make an impact on women in our profession.

Texas A&M One Health Strengthening Partnerships Globally

Texas A&M One Health Strengthening Partnerships Globally

Dr. Rosina (Tammi) Krecek visited the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Rome, Italy from March 18-20, 2015. Krecek was invited to give a seminar titled "One Ocean Apart, One World Together: Texas A&M University One Health." The visit strengthened current partnerships in our Texas A&M One Health research, education, and outreach programs, and identified new opportunities between our organizations. Key discussions took place with Livestock Production Systems Branch, Agricultural Development Economics Division, Infectious Diseases/EMPRES, and several international internship students from the USA, Europe, and South America.

Read More >>

Open House a Success

Open House a Success

The college hosted its 22nd annual Open House on April 25, and it was a huge success as always. Thanks to the students who coordinated the entire event, thousands of people were able to see our school and learn more about veterinary medicine.

View Photos >>

BIMS Student Wins Research Award

BIMS Student Wins Research Award

Taylor Strange, an undergraduate in the BIMS program who works in Dr. Donald J. Brightsmith's lab, recently won the university-wide Student Research Week Excellence in Research Award. Her research, which she conducted in the new Avian Health Complex, led to her Undergraduate Research Scholars Thesis and associated presentation, titled Automated Enrichment for Enhancing Animal and Researcher Welfare.

Follow the Progess of our New Complex Online

Follow the Progess of the VBEC Online

You can view the latest state of the new Veterinary & Biomedical Education Complex online. The webpage allows for a time-lapse video of construction.

View Cams >>
upcoming events may 2015

College Hour-CVM College Strategic Need: Small Animal Hospital Campaign
May 8

DVM Graduation
May 13

VLCS Seminar Series: Ms. Alexis Mitchell
May 14

Graduation for CVM Graduate and Undergraduate Students
May 15

College Hour: Drs. Ivan Rusyn, Weihsueh Chiu, and Ken Muneoka
May 15

16th Annual CVM Faculty & Staff Picnic
May 22

CVM Faculty-wide Curriculum Retreat
May 22

VLCS Seminar Series: Dr. Kati Glass
May 28

Submit Your Event
View All Events

ce calender may 2015

24th Annual Food Animal Conference
June 5-7

Wildlife Health, Disease and Immobilization Conference
June 12-14

Equine Dentistry Educational Course for Veterinarians, Technicians & Licensed Equine Dental Provider
June 20

5th Annual Orthopedics Conference
June 27-28

View All Events

hats off may 2015

Congratulations to Dr. Rachel R. Deer and Dr. John N. Stallone, whose article was the winner of the 2014 Biology of Sex Differences Organization for the Study of Sex Differences (OSSD) Award.
Dr. Leif Andersson was selected to receive an honorary degree from Texas A&M University in recognition of his leadership, commitment, and accomplishments that advance higher education, the pursuit of knowledge, and the mission of Texas A&M. Congratulations to him!
Congratulations to Yasushi Minamoto and the entire GI lab for their recent paper about canine inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), which was featured on the cover of Gut Microbes.
Three Biomedical Sciences majors-Michelle Dembosky, Andy Habib, and Austin Wang-have been selected to receive the 2015 Thomas S. Gathright Academic Excellence Award. Congratulations to all of them!
The National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) Food Security Challenge Area Grant was awarded to The Ohio State University and its eight collaborating institutions, including Texas A&M University. Blanca Lupiani and Sanjay Reddy are the principal investigators from Texas A&M. This is great One Health work, and we're excited our faculty are a part of it!

featured dept head searches may 2015

centennial banner 2015 may