October 2015 Deans Corner
Avian Grand Opening

President Michael K. Young visits the CVM

The recent visit from President Michael K. Young on Sept. 17 reminded me of how proud I am of everyone here at the College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (CVM). Thank you all for making him feel welcome. Our goal was to introduce President Young to both the depth and breadth of what we do here at the CVM, and I believe we certainly accomplished that goal.

During President Young’s visit, we toured both the Small and Large Animal Hospitals, a Veterinary Emergency Team (VET) training scenario, and the Diagnostic Imaging and Cancer Treatment Center. While visiting the treatment center he even joked, “If I get sick, I’m coming here!” The VET demonstrated their unique skills, and he was highly impressed with all they do for the citizens of Texas.

After showing President Young our facilities, he attended a reception held in the Large Animal Hospital, where he met many CVM faculty. Those who attended not only took the time to greet President Young, but many explained the significance of their work.

Overall, we had an outstanding day in the CVM, and as he left he said, “I will be back.” We can all look forward to his next visit as we continue to bring awareness to all we do in this great college.

Renowned vaccinologist and researcher, Dr. Denise Faustman, visits Texas A&M

Renowned vaccinologist and researcher, Dr. Denise Faustman, visits Texas A&M

Dr. Denise Faustman, associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and director of the Immunobiology Laboratory at Massachusetts General Hospital, recently visited the CVM. The visit allowed Faustman, a renowned vaccinologist and clinical researcher, to share her expertise and collaborate with faculty and students at the CVM.

“Dr. Faustman has made transformational discoveries in immunoregulation for cancer, autoimmunity, and infectious disease in humans that have potential to be transferred to bovine health,” said Dr. Michael Criscitiello, an associate professor in the Department of Veterinary Pathobiology.

Read More >>

CVM welcomes a new cohort of trained mediators

CVM welcomes a new cohort of trained mediators

The CVM recently sponsored a third cohort of 20 staff, faculty, and administrators to attend a 40-hour Basic Mediation Course, facilitated by Dr. Nancy Watson and featuring many guest speakers from around the university.

These leaders and future leaders learned how to better manage conflict and create a positive climate within the college. All graduating attendees received a mediation certificate and received a plaque that says “Mediator" to be displayed on their office doors.

Read More >>

Dr. Dennis Carroll delivers seminar on Ebola

Dr. Dennis Carroll delivers seminar on Ebola

As part of the Fall 2015 Seminar Series, Dr. Dennis Carroll, the director of the U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID) Global Health Security, presented “Beyond Ebola: lessons we should have learned about zoonotic disease threats and their prevention.” The seminar was held on Sept. 18 and co-sponsored by the CVM and The Borlaug Institute for International Agriculture.

At the seminar, Carroll discussed several “take-home messages” from the recent Ebola epidemic and the role of Africa’s increased livestock production in the future of global public health. He emphasized One Health and the need for collaboration between human, animal, and environmental health professionals in preventing and mitigating future public health risks.

View Recording >>

Stress Symposium

Stress Symposium

The “fight-or-flight” response—the reaction to real or perceived threats—no doubt saved many of our ancestors from harm. This instinct, seen in humans and animals, evolved to deal with the stress arising from dangerous situations, such as a lion chasing them. However, when this increased level of stress continues for an extended period of time—as it often does in modern culture where we are chronically stressed—it can lead to disease and chronic disorders.

Current research unravels the biological and genetic origins of stress response with the goal of reducing its negative impact while still maintaining its evolutionary benefits. This symposium will explore current knowledge of stress research as well as how stress is and can be reduced to alleviate the negative impact on human, animal, and plant health.

Read More >>

Washburn part of research team receiving $1.5 million grant

Washburn part of research team receiving $1.5 million grant

Dr. Shannon Washburn, a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology, is part of an interdisciplinary team of researchers at Texas A&M University that recently received a $1.5 million grant to fund research on placental adaptation to maternal malnutrition. The grant was awarded by the National Institutes of Health’s Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development and the United States Department of Agriculture’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture.

Read More >>

Barcelona students grow at Texas A&M University veterinary school

Barcelona students study at the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine

One of the biggest leaps a student can take is deciding to study in a foreign country. Whether the trip lasts three weeks or three months, studying abroad never fails to make a lasting impression on students. This holds true for the students of Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona who recently traveled to College Station to study at the CVM.

Read More >>

Avian Vaccine Developed at Texas A&M

Dog Bowl Tailgate

Those howling for a good time joined the CVM for the Dog Bowl Tailgate on Oct. 3 as Texas A&M University prepared to play Mississippi State University. The tailgate was held in room 2400 of the Memorial Student Center (MSC) and began three hours before kick-off.

Many attendees brought their family. There were activities to keep the kids entertained and specialty dog bowl drinks for the adults. Those who didn’t have a ticket to the game were welcome to stay and watch the game.

View Photos >>

flags

Flags

To honor those lost 14 years ago and the patriots who served, flags were placed outside of the CVM on Sept. 11 and again the following Saturday of the football game.

 BIMS Board Meeting

BIMS Board meeting

The Biomedical Sciences (BIMS) Board, a group of BIMS alumni with an ongoing interest in the college, met on Oct. 2 at the Thomas G. Hildebrand, DVM ’56 Equine Complex.

Read More >>

CVM development

Development Council meeting

On Oct. 1 the Development Council met at the Jon L. Hagler Center to discuss current happenings at the CVM.

Read More >>

 BIMS Board Meeting

Small Animal Hospital Exploratory Committee meeting

The Small Animal Hospital (SAH) Exploratory Committee met on Sept. 30 to discuss current efforts to promote and support the SAH. The meeting began with an address from Dr. Eleanor M. Green, the Carl B. King Dean of Veterinary Medicine, which set the stage for the discussion on the SAH.

Read More >>

swvs

CVM represented at the Southwestern Veterinary Symposium

The CVM was well represented at this year’s Southwestern Veterinary Symposium (SWVS) on Sept. 24-27 at the Fort Worth Convention Center. SWVS included several Texas Veterinary Medical Association (TVMA) meetings, a Texas A&M Veterinary Emergency Team (VET) exhibition, and a CVM booth. Former students, faculty, and staff came together for one of the largest continuing education courses in Texas as well as an exciting Aggie football game at AT&T Stadium.

Read More >>

Follow the Progess of our New Complex Online

Follow the Progess of the VBEC Online

You can view the latest state of the new Veterinary & Biomedical Education Complex (VBEC) online. The webpage allows for a time-lapse video of construction.

View Cams >>
upcoming events

Equine Reproduction Symposium
October 23

Class of '60 Reunion
October 23

Submit Your Event
View All Events

college hour

Bridges Teaching Academy - Accreditation Site Visit Update: Nov. 29 - Dec. 3, 2015
October 16

College Hour: State of the College by Eleanor M. Green, Dean
October 23

ce-calendar

17th Annual Emergency Medicine & Critical Care Conference
October 9-11

Practical Solutions for Equine Nutritional Diseases Presented by Cargill
October 24

Small Animal Anesthesia & Analgesia Conference
November 20-22

View All CE Events

secc-events

SECC Luncheon
Friday, October 9 located in the grassy area outside building 1020 (Vivarium III) · 11:30 am - 1:30 pm · $8 per plate which will include a burger with all the fixins, chips and a drink. · All proceeds will be donated to Breast Cancer Awareness

Silent Auction:
Monday, October 19 – Friday, October 23. Auction will close at 5:00 pm on the 23rd. Donations can be made online.

Halloween Bake Sale:
Friday, October 30th in the CVM Main Foyer · 7:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. or until sold out. · All proceeds will be donated to Camp Agape.

exec searches

centennial-banner