Curcumin Therapy in Cats with Chronic Intestinal Disease
Aim of the Study:
Evaluate the efficacy of curcumin as a therapeutic option in cats with chronic intestinal disease.
- Adult cats (1-20 years old) of any breed or sex with signs of chronic intestinal disease (recurrent vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss).
- Not responsive to initial treatment for chronic enteropathy (antiparasitic therapy, diet trial with a hydrolyzed or novel protein, antibiotics) or that have relapsed following treatment.
- Patients that have not received any immunosuppressive treatment (prednisolone, cyclosporine).
Duration of the Study
The study duration will be 3 weeks and comprised of three evaluations by the private veterinarian. In the first visit a sample of blood may be taken for diagnosis confirmation. Upon meeting eligibility criteria, a second visit will be required and another 5ml blood sample will be obtained and a naturally passed fresh fecal sample. At this point, the patient will start treatment with curcumin. Three weeks after treatment a third and final visit will be required and the last blood sample (5ml) will be obtained along with a naturally passed fresh fecal sample.
- 2 fasted serum samples (at least 2 ml each).
- 2 fasted EDTA blood samples (1ml each).
- 2 Naturally passed fresh fecal samples.
- Eligible patients will receive curcumin treatment for three weeks of the study at no charge.
- For patients with ALL completed forms (1. Owner questionnaire, 2. Veterinarian questionnaire, 3. Clinical activity index score, 4. Informed owner consent form), we offer the following tests up to 2 times for each patient (before starting treatment and three weeks after):
- Serum Biochemistry and Complete Blood Count.
- Fecal Dysbiosis index,
- Fecal S100A12 and N-Methyhistamine concentrations.
- Fecal Metabolomics.
- All shipping costs related to sending samples to our labs.
Final enrollment is based on clinical signs of chronic enteropathy and exclusion of other diseases.
Please email Dr. Adrian Tinoco Najera at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.