Treatment of Feline Chronic Pancreatitis
We are currently enrolling cats with chronic pancreatitis in a study that aims to investigate the efficacy of prednisolone and cyclosporine as treatments for cats with chronic pancreatitis.
- Cats of any age, breed, or sex are eligible to be enrolled.
- Cats that are diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis for more than two weeks based on clinical evaluation (i.e., medical history, physical examination)
- Cats that have a recent serum fPLI > 10 µg/L, with a normal cobalamin (400-1500 ng/L) and folate (9.7-21.6 µg/L) concentrations.
- Cats that have a diet change(s) within 2 weeks before enrollment
- Cats that have been treated with any medication that might cause pancreatitis (e.g. phenobarbital, organophosphates, calcium.)
- Past (within 3 months) or current use of steroids or immunosuppressants.
Duration of the Study
- The duration of the study is 3 weeks.
- 1 EDTA blood sample (1mL)
- 1 fasted serum sample (at least 2 mL)
Owner must be able to:
- Attend 3 scheduled veterinary visits with your primary care vet over a period of 3 weeks.
- Administer study medication (prednisolone or cyclosporin) as directed for 3 weeks if your cat is enrolled in the treatment group.
- Complete questionnaires about your cat for each 3 scheduled visits.
- Keep the same diet and supplements during the study period.
For patients with ALL completed forms (1. Owner questionnaire, 2. Veterinarian questionnaire, and 3. Clinical activity index score), we offer the following:
- Study medication (prednisolone or cyclosporin) prescribed as instructed for 3 weeks for free.
We’ll ask the attending vet to prescribe the medication. The clinic will have to cover the assigned immunosuppressant and we’ll reimburse them after the completion of 3-week study.
- GI panel (serum cobalamin, folate, fTLI and fPLI) up to 3 times (before starting treatment and 2 rechecks during the treatment).
- All shipping costs related to sending samples to our laboratory
The owner will be responsible for costs other than the items listed above (e.g. visiting fee, other medication, cost of assigned immunosuppressant after the 3-week study period, lab works performed in the clinic)
Final enrollment is based on clinical signs of chronic pancreatitis and serum feline pancreatic lipase immunoreactivity concentration.
Please note: If you are the owner of the cat and not a veterinarian, please have your veterinarian contact us directly.
Cats that meet all the criteria can also be enrolled in the control group.
We also offer GI panel and shipping up to 3 times, please contact us for more details.