This Properties of Hazards module has five units of instruction. This module focuses on different types of hazards that we can get exposed to in our daily life. The different hazards have been defined and further classified. The website gives a detailed description of their properties, source, route of exposure, and the adverse health effects that they produce. Clicking on the unit titles will take you to the topic.
Standards Aligned: Each unit is aligned to the NGSS and TEKS for both middle school science and high school science courses, as appropriate for the lesson content. A document included with each unit provides the standards for that unit.
You may go through the units in any sequence, but we suggest first exploring Unit 1, Invisible Intruders. After that, the sequence does not matter.
- Teacher Page: Download PDF or Download Word Doc
- Pre – Test Presentation : Download PPT or View Google Slides
- Post – Test Presentation : Download PPT or View Google Slides
- Pre Test and Post Test Key : Download Word Doc or View Google Doc
- Pre-Test: Download PDF or Download Word Doc
- Post-Test: Download PDF or Download Word Doc
- Test Keys: Download PDF or Download Word Doc
Life Savers or Rat Poison?
To Solve or Not to Dissolve?
These modules are designed to be used by middle and high school students. The interactive PowerPoint documents are developed to be student-centered and self- guided. The note-taking outlines go along with the PowerPoint presentations and focus on materials that are required in the NGSS and TEKS standards. The pre- and post- tests are developed to prepare students for the types of questions that they might encounter on standardized tests. There are many higher level questions included in the presentations and the activities that encourage students to critically analyze the content. Full teacher instructions are included in each unit.