- Infectious Disease
Molecular genetics of mammals including; characterization of genetic traits and disease, population and conservation genetics, and the evolution of genes and genomes at the nucleotide level in domestic and wild populations.
- B.S., Cameron University, 1980
- M.S., Sul Ross State University, 1982
- Ph.D., Texas A&M University, 1990
- Chemical Immobilization Course - South Africa, 2014 - 2014
- Derr JN, Hedrick PW, Halbert ND, Plough L, Dobson LK, King J, Duncan C, Hunter DL, Cohen ND, Hedgecock D (2012). Phenotypic Effects of Cattle Mitochondrial DNA in American Bison. Conserv Biol.
- Halbert ND, Gogan PJ, Hedrick PW, Wahl JM, Derr JN (2012). Genetic population substructure in bison at Yellowstone National Park. J Hered. 3, 360-70
- Douglas KC, Halbert ND, Kolenda C, Childers C, Hunter DL, Derr JN (2011). Complete mitochondrial DNA sequence analysis of Bison bison and bison-cattle hybrids: function and phylogeny. Mitochondrion. 1, 166-75
- Osterstock JB, Fosgate GT, Derr JN, Cohen ND, Roussel AJ (2008). Assessing familial aggregation of paratuberculosis in beef cattle of unknown pedigree. Prev Vet Med. 1-2, 121-34
- Osterstock JB, Fosgate GT, Cohen ND, Derr JN, Manning EJ, Collins MT, Roussel AJ (2008). Familial associations with paratuberculosis ELISA results in Texas Longhorn cattle. Vet Microbiol. 1-2, 131-8
- Seabury CM, Gill CA, Templeton JW, Dyar JB, Derr JN, Adelson DL, Owens E, Davis DS, Kraemer DC, Womack JE (2007). Molecular characterization of the Rocky Mountain elk (Cervus elaphus nelsoni) PRNP putative promoter. J Hered. 7, 678-86
- Halbert ND, Derr JN (2007). A comprehensive evaluation of cattle introgression into US federal bison herds. J Hered. 1, 1-12
- White SN, Halbert ND, Taylor KH, Derr JN, Womack JE (2005). TLR4 variation in Yellowstone bison. Anim Genet. 6, 533-4
- Halbert ND, Ward TJ, Schnabel RD, Taylor JF, Derr JN (2005). Conservation genomics: disequilibrium mapping of domestic cattle chromosomal segments in North American bison populations. Mol Ecol. 8, 2343-62
- Seabury CM, Halbert ND, Gogan PJ, Templeton JW, Derr JN (2005). Bison PRNP genotyping and potential association with Brucella spp. seroprevalence. Anim Genet. 2, 104-10
- Seabury CM, Womack JE, Piedrahita J, Derr JN (2004). Comparative PRNP genotyping of U.S. cattle sires for potential association with BSE. Mamm Genome. 10, 828-33
- Seabury CM, Honeycutt RL, Rooney AP, Halbert ND, Derr JN (2004). Prion protein gene (PRNP) variants and evidence for strong purifying selection in functionally important regions of bovine exon 3. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 42, 15142-7
- Seabury CM, Derr JN (2003). Identification of a novel ovine PrP polymorphism and scrapie-resistant genotypes for St. Croix White and a related composite breed. Cytogenet Genome Res. 1-4, 85-8
- Guyer CL, Stoica G, Womack JE, Storts RW, Derr JN, Abbott LC (2002). A line of Berlin Druckrey IV rats proposed as a new model for human hereditary ataxia. In Vivo. 4, 255-63
- Arriaga JM, Cohen ND, Derr JN, Chaffin MK, Martens RJ (2002). Detection of Rhodococcus equi by polymerase chain reaction using species-specific nonproprietary primers. J Vet Diagn Invest. 4, 347-53
- Schnabel RD, Ward TJ, Derr JN (2000). Validation of 15 microsatellites for parentage testing in North American bison, Bison bison and domestic cattle. Anim Genet. 6, 360-6
- Rooney AP, Honeycutt RL, Davis SK, Derr JN (1999). Evaluating a putative bottleneck in a population of bowhead whales from patterns of microsatellite diversity and genetic disequilibria. J Mol Evol. 5, 682-90
- Rooney AP, Merritt DB, Derr JN (1999). Microsatellite diversity in captive bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus). J Hered. 1, 228-31
- Ward TJ, Honeycutt RL, Derr JN (1997). Nucleotide sequence evolution at the kappa-casein locus: evidence for positive selection within the family Bovidae. Genetics. 4, 1863-72
- Piedrahita JA, Weaks R, Petrescu A, Shrode TW, Derr JN, Womack JE (1997). Genetic characterization of the bovine leukaemia inhibitory factor (LIF) gene: isolation and sequencing, chromosome assignment and microsatellite analysis. Anim Genet. 1, 14-20
- Gallagher DS Jr, Derr JN, Womack JE (1994). Chromosome conservation among the advanced pecorans and determination of the primitive bovid karyotype. J Hered. 3, 204-10
- Forgacs, D, R.L. Wallen and J.N. Derr (2017). Mitochondrial Haplotype Diversity in Yellowstone National Park Bison. PLoS ONE.
- Su, H., J. McKelvey, D. Rollins, M. Zhang, D. J. Brightsmith, J. Derr, and S. Zhang. (2014). Cultivable Bacterial Microbiota of Northern Bobwhite (Colinus virginianus): A New Reservoir of Antimicrobial Resistance? PLoS., e99826
- Cronin, M.A., M.D. MacNeil, N. Vu, V. Leesburg, H.D. Blackburn, and J.N. Derr. (2013). Genetic variation and differentiation of bison (Bison bison) subspecies and cattle (Bos taurus) breeds and subspecies.
- Halbert ND, Derr JN (2008). Patterns of genetic variation in US federal bison herds. Mol Ecol. 23, 4963-77
- Ficht TA, Husseinen HS, Derr J, Bearden SW (1996). Species-specific sequences at the omp2 locus of Brucella type strains. Int J Syst Bacteriol. 1, 329-31
- J.N. Derr (2015). Closed or Open Bison Herds, Recommendations From a Geneticist.