October 2016 Deans Corner
Charles Graham

Celebrating Dr. Charles W. "Doc" Graham, '53

Dr. Charles W. Graham '53 was selected as one of 12 recipients of the 2016 Distinguished Alumni Award, the highest honor bestowed upon a former student of Texas A&M University. Since the inception of the award in 1962, only 261 of Texas A&M’s 440,000 former students have been recognized with the Distinguished Alumnus Award.

Read More >>

Visitors from the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Visits the CVM

The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo (HLSR) tour of VBEC facilities took place on Monday, Sept. 19. Members of HLSR said they were quite impressed with the CVM’s people, programs, and facilities. The HLSR is a valuable partner in higher education for Texas A&M. We were pleased to show them around our new education complex.

Read More >>

Cade Luckett

Texas A&M Students Honored at AABP Conference

Cade Luckett, a third-year veterinary student at the CVM, was recently honored with the Amstutz Scholarship from the American Association of Bovine Practitioners (AABP). This is just one of several recognitions of CVM students at the AABP conference in Charlotte, North Carolina on Sept. 14 to 17.

Read More >>

Cleo the cat

CLEO “the cat” Merritt Exam Room Established

In honor of the excellent care provided to CLEO by Aggie veterinarians, the Merritts established the CLEO “the cat” Merritt scholarship for DVM students and made arrangements in their estate to add to that scholarship after their lifetimes. In addition, the Merritts donated to the CVM to improve the Small Animal Hospital and were recognized with the CLEO “the cat” Merritt Exam Room.

Read More >>

Class od 2020

Together, Texas A&M and East Africa Take One Health to the Next Level

During a recent visit to Tanzania and Kenya, Texas A&M faculty members met with national and local leaders to discuss the One Health Initiative.

Read More >>

CVM Staff Earn EOD Certificates

EOD Certificates Awarded

Four staff members at the CVM received certificates from the Texas A&M Employee and Organizational Development (EOD) following completion of certificate programs.

Read More >>

BIMS Eiquette Dinner

BIMS Board Meeting and Etiquette Dinner

On Sept. 29, 56 people attended the BIMS etiquette dinner at Christopher’s World Grille. The following morning, Sept. 30, BIMS faculty, staff, and students met for a tour of the new Veterinary & Biomedical Education Complex (VBEC).

Read More >>

Dr. Dan Posey recuits at West Texas

2016 CVM Grand Opening and Tailgate

Please join us for the Grand Opening of the Veterinary & Biomedical Education Complex (VBEC) on Nov. 11. The event will include an opening ceremony and presentation as well as tours of VBEC. The CVM-TVMA Tailgate is Nov. 12. Join in on tailgating fun three hours before the Texas A&M vs. Ole Miss game kick-off.

Read More >>

  TIGSS Sex Symposium

2016 TIGSS Sex Symposium

The Texas A&M Institute for Genome Sciences and Society (TIGSS) will hold its second annual symposium, “Sex in the Post-Genome Era,” Oct. 20-21. A keynote address by Dr. Sarah Richardson, associate professor at Harvard University, will be free and open to the public.

Read More >>

SECC's doughnut sale

State Employee Charitable Campaign at the CVM

This year the CVM participated in the SECC by selling food every Friday. The fundraiser was sponsored by the dean’s office and all proceeds benefited the Aggieland Humane Society, Voices for Children, and Habitat for Humanity.

Read More >>

  TIGSS Sex Symposium

Suicide Prevention Training

Faculty, staff, and students are welcome to attend Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR) suicide prevention trainings on Oct. 17 and Nov. 15. At these two-hour trainings, participants can become QPR certified. Trainees will learn how to recognize someone at risk for suicide, what to do and say in this situation, and where and how to refer someone who is potentially depressed or suicidal.

Read More >>

Class of 76

Class of '76 Reunion

The Class of '76 reunion was held on Sept. 29 to Oct. 1. The visit began with a trip to Messina Hof Winery. The next day participants enjoyed brunch together, toured the CVM, and watched the football game.

  Board of Directors

TVMA Board of Directors Meeting

At the TVMA Board of Directors meeting, Thursday, Sept. 29, 2016 at the Omni Fort Worth, the CVM presented an update on the new Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Center partnerships with West Texas A&M, Prairie View A&M, Tarleton and A&M-Kingsville, which is the culmination of a seven-year plan. Chairman Aaron Rainer, DVM, MPH presided over the meeting, there were many questions about our partnership and our plans to move forward with this initiative. The CVM also announced it's fully committed to the partnership with TVMA, as all faculty in our college are members of the TVMA.

Dean Eleanor M. Green presenting at College Hour

Dean Eleanor M. Green's Thoughts on the Future of Veterinary Medicine

At College Hour on Sept. 23, I presented “The Future…” and addressed some of the current challenges and opportunities our profession will face in the future. Who better to lead this change than the people of this great college? If we don’t do it someone else will. As Aggies, we can face these challenges head on, and we have to be open to risk.

Read More >>

image 1 Oct 2016

DVM Class of '06 Reunion
October 22, 2016

Emergency & Critical Care Conference
October 22-23, 2016

CVM Meet-N-Treat
October 31, 2016

Cargill Equine Nutrition
November 5, 2016

Retired Faculty and Staff Brunch
November 11, 2016

VBEC Grand Opening
November 11, 2016

CVM-TVMA Tailgate
November 12, 2016

Centennial Holiday Celebration
December 9, 2016

Anesthesia & Analgesia Conference
December 9-11, 2016

Centennial Website

image 2 Oct 2016

Gregory Johnson was awarded a certificate as one of the best five "Placenta" reviewers at the International Federation of Placenta Association Annual Meeting in Portland, OR.

Francisco Alvarez received a $16,000 scholarship to the CVM in honor of the Niley J. Smith & Stephen W. Smith Endowment. Francisco hopes to work at a large or mixed animal practice in the state of Texas.

image 3 Oct 2016