The Medical Teaching Hospital (VMTH) of Texas A&M's
College of Veterinary Medicine was established in 1915 when the
Texas Legislature approved the creation of a public school of
veterinary medicine and provided funds for building of a veterinary
Today, the VMTH generates approximately $12.78 million annually,
or 92% of the facility's operating budget, from clinical services
offered to client animals brought in for diagnosis and
The Hospital also benefits from state appropriations to the CVM
for faculty salaries, utilities, grounds maintenance, building
maintenance and other infrastructure maintenance costs.
In recent years, the Hospital has served animals referred from
approximately 2,500 veterinarians in 164 of Texas's 254 counties
and 31 of the 50 United States.
The Small Animal Clinic was built in 1981 and houses the
Department of Small Animal Medicine & Surgery and clinical
facilities for small animals. The Large Animal Hospital was built
in 1993 and houses the Department of Large Animal Medicine &
Surgery and clinical facilities for large animals.
The oldest building in the VMTH complex is Bldg. 508, which was
constructed in 1953. The building has been partially remodeled to
accommodate a large classroom, a cafeteria and the current
warehouse and receiving area. A equine pavilion has been built to
provide much-needed stall space for the equine program.
The VMTH has a growing caseload of over 22,000 cases per
year. With a multidisciplinary faculty of over 145
veterinarians, a support staff of more than 200 budgeted personnel
and over 100 part-time wage personnel in a variety of disciplines,
the Hospital is able to offer an extensive range of specialized
services for large and small animals.