RENAL PATHOLOGY SERVICE
The Texas A&M School of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (VMBS) is proud to welcome
the International Veterinary Renal Pathology Service (IVRPS) back to the Department
of Veterinary Pathobiology (VTPB) and the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital (VMTH).
Mission & Goals
Our mission is to improve health care for individual patients with kidney disease and generate new knowledge about renal diseases in animals by expertly performing thorough pathologic evaluations of kidney specimens obtained from dogs and cats, and other animals.
The work performed by the International Veterinary Renal Pathology Service (IVRPS) is centered around the following operational goals:
- To perform histologic, ultrastructural, and immunohistologic examinations of kidneys that will assist veterinarians, especially nephrologists and specialists in academic and private practices, with the evaluation of their patients with kidney disease.
- To promptly communicate pathologic findings and their implications with each patient’s attending clinician(s).
- To collect detailed clinical information about the features, course, response to treatment, and outcome of pathologically well-defined kidney diseases in animals and integrate the information with the pathologic findings.
- To generate and maintain a database containing the clinical and pathologic information collected about pathologically well-defined kidney diseases in animals.
- To use the resources of the IVRPS to facilitate retrospective and prospective investigations that will advance understanding of the causes, treatment, and prevention of renal diseases in animals.
- When to perform a renal biopsy? (PDF)
[Lees GE, Cianciolo RE, Clubb FJ Jr. Renal biopsy and pathologic evaluation of glomerular disease. Top Companion Anim Med. 2011 Aug;26(3):143-53. doi: 10.1053/j.tcam.2011.04.006. PMID: 21782145.]
- Performing Renal Biopsy (PDF)
[Lees GE, Bahr A, Sanders MH. Procedures Pro Urology/Nephrology: Performing renal biopsy. NAVC Clinician’s Brief. 2010 Apr. 67-72.]
Dr. J. Hokamp/ Dr. M. Nabity
VMTH Clin Path – IVRPS
RM 2020 BLDG 1085
College Station, TX 77843-4457
Dr. Jessica Hokamp | Co-Director | Tel: 979.845.9192 | Email: email@example.com
Dr. Mary Nabity | Co-Director | Tel: 979.845.9180 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: To submit samples, visit the Contact Us page.