VERO stands for “Veterinary Education, Research, & Outreach.” It’s a dynamic partnership between the Texas A&M School of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (VMBS) and West Texas A&M University (WT). Set in the heart of one of the most productive animal agricultural regions in the world, VERO provides unprecedented opportunities for collaboration with industry partners and stakeholders from the region and across the nation.
VERO is the culmination of an idea that began in 2009 as a response to the urgent need to expand the VMBS and address the continual need for well-trained veterinarians skilled in the care of both large and small animals. In the report “Projecting the Need for Veterinary Medical Education in Texas,” the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) stated that while “no new veterinary school is recommended at this time,” the needs of Texas could be met most cost-effectively through an expansion of the VMBS.
- To Serve Every Texan Every Day by emphasizing unique opportunities and strengths available in the Texas Panhandle.
- To serve the region’s veterinarians, livestock producers, and citizens; and to recruit and train highly qualified, highly motivated students in the skills needed to serve the Texas Panhandle region.
- Provide impactful education, training, and outreach to the region’s veterinarians and livestock workforce.
- Aggressively pursue collaborative, compelling research with the regional, national, and global scientists, veterinarians, livestock experts, and economists which addresses the sustainability of animal agriculture and rural communities.
- Advance animal, human, and environmental health locally and globally.
- We champion student growth and success.
- We strive to make a global impact and translate discoveries into applicable products of knowledge and innovation.
- We engage with people and communities to solve problems, share knowledge, and support progress.
- We believe in a culture of abundance where all team members are valued and supported.
Established in 2009, VERO is the partnership between the Texas A&M University School of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (VMBS)
and the West Texas A&M University (WT) Paul Engler College of Agriculture & Natural Sciences
to bring Veterinary Education, Research, & Outreach to the Texas Panhandle.