Texas A&M Student Chapter of the American Association of Equine Practitioners
Welcome to the Texas A&M SCAAEP!
We are the local student chapter of the American Association of Equine Practitioners. We have over 100 student members who range from aspiring equine specialists to future mixed animal practitioners. We are active both on campus with lectures and hands-on workshops as well as in the community with labs and clinical days with local private practitioners. Our goal is to create as many horse-related educational and professional opportunities for our members as possible.
Our flagship event is the annual SCAAEP Wet Lab. This is a longstanding event during which we get to briefly take over the TAMU large animal hospital and spend time with professors and equine clinicians for a day of learning and practice. This year’s event will be held on Saturday, January 13th and will include a lunch discussion with current AAEP president, Dr. Rob Franklin. We will be following that with an evening of networking at our SCAAEP job fair hosted in part by the Texas Equine Veterinary Association (TEVA). If you would like to know more about the event please check out our website.
Why become an EP member?
- Access to EP Canvas page which includes past lecture recordings, educational resources, and calendar of club events
- Free access to our annual Wet lab (Saturday, January 13th, 2024)
- Workshops and skills days with local practitioners (castrations, dentals, podiatry, imaging etc.)
- Club hosted lectures as well as access to shared zoom lectures with SCAAEP chapters at other schools
- Access to weekly rounds with equine residents in the TAMU Large Animal Hospital
- Chance to win one of multiple EP scholarships given away each Spring
- Free admission to “Calf Fry” our Large Animal Club social held at the end of the year
How to Join
If you are a current TAMU SVM student hoping to join EP before September 8th 2023 please fill out this google form. If you would like to become an EP member after September 8th please contact one of our EP officers. We’re glad to have you!
2022-2023 membership in review…
- 119 members total
- 30 plus students attended the national AAEP symposium
- 10 lunch/dinner lecture meetings
- 3 castration days with Brazos Valley Equine Hospital, Navasota
- Annual (and famous) Spring wet lab
- Weekly rounds with interns/residents in the hospital
- AAEP dentistry weekend workshop
- Floated 70 horses at Parson Mounted Cavalry
- $2,000 in scholarships awarded to EP members
2027 Class Officer Position
We are looking for a first year class representative! The 1VM rep should be someone dedicated to getting more involved with the Equine community both at TAMU and nationally. The 1VM rep will be asked to regularly attend officer meetings, EP events and support the EP club with an emphasis on communication with their class. This is a great opportunity to get more involved with all things horse-related and the best way to move into additional leadership positions in the club down the road. You must be an EP member to apply.
If you would like to apply to be the EP representative for the class of 2027, please fill out this google form by midnight on Friday, September 8th. Your responses will be sent out to the EP club and voting will take place in the week following.
If you would like to know more about our chapter as a prospective student member or a current veterinarian hoping to get more involved, please feel free to reach out to current chapter president, Fred Holcomb – Holcombf@tamu.edu, (703) 439-0832.
Dr. Leslie Easterwood – LEasterwood@cvm.tamu.edu
Dr. Dustin Major – email@example.com
Dr. Jeffrey Watkins – firstname.lastname@example.org
|SCAAEP Officers:President – Fred HolcombVice president – Cassidy Scatena
Secretary – Jess McCaskill
Treasurer – Morgan Patton
Junior Treasurer – Cierra Cadena
3VM rep – Seth Carwile
2VM reps – Trey Selman, Taylor Satre
1VM rep – TBD!
TEVA liaison – Sara Zunker
Junior TEVA liaison – Jack Richison
Vero rep, College station – Devon King
Vero rep, Vero – Brynn Waley
|Wet lab Officers:Head wet lab coordinator – Haven ErengilJunior wet lab coordinator: Cailey MillerSponsorship coordinator: Lauren Thieleman
Junior sponsorship coordinator: Giana Gonzalez
Job fair coordinator: Morgan Patton
Junior job fair coordinators: Sarina Mims and Brittany Klesel
Registration coordinator: Emma Oliver
Junior registration coordinator: Drew Cook
Logistics: Emma Haschke
Junior logistics coordinator: Danyelle Reiskind